chrishansenhome: (Default)
2017-08-23 02:36 pm
Entry tags:

More Marblehead Shenanigans

Relatively benign this week, if you don't count the woman who doesn't know how to stop, the verbal fighting over a tree, the very noisy directorial début, and the burglary on Cod Almighty.

Thursday, August 17

  • Police responded to a report of a woman being harassed via email on Aug. 17. A voicemail was left by an officer for the man to stop the harassment.

  • A woman received both a citation and a verbal warning on the same day on Tedesco Street and Longview Drive for a red light violation. The second situation involved not stopping at a stop sign. This person seems to have difficulty in stopping.

  • An officer responded after a woman bumped her car into another. There was no damage on either car. The woman in the second car got out and started screaming at the driver, took her information, but wouldn't give her own. The reporter felt intimidated by the second driver and reported the incident.

  • A Yeti cooler was reported stolen from a man's boat on Salem Harbor. You mean there is a special cooler for Abominable Snowmen? Who knew?

  • An anonymous caller reported a man on Mechanic Court was yelling and screaming, and yelling racial slurs. It had been going on for 10 minutes. Officers responded. The man and his household were making a movie about the recent attacks in Charlottesville and the reporter didn't know that and thought that they were having an argument. Showing in all reputable theaters at some point.

Friday, August 18

  • A pedestrian was struck by a truck and transported to the hospital on Beacon and Green Streets. The hospital is not on Beacon and Green Streets. The hospital is in Salem. The reporter seems to have difficulty with location.

  • A woman reported a man going through her trash. She said she puts out her Amazon bags with all her credit card info on them. She will invest in a shredder and has yelled at the man to move along. She did not want a response. And neither do we.

Saturday, August 19

  • A woman called the department upset because "when she came in last week, the call was logged and that the newspaper brought out her complaint [in a police log] from 3 years ago and published it again. She apologized to the man who was involved today and was going to go to the paper to tell them it wasn't fair that they brought up her complaint from 3 years ago. So the police are responsible for a journalistic mixup?

  • Two neighbors on Pitman Road were reported verbally fighting over a tree. At least it was only verbal.

  • A boat was broken into on Salem Harbor. Tuna reels and other equipment were reported as stolen on a boat named the Cod Almighty. The Harbormaster has been notified. Great Balls of Fire!.
chrishansenhome: (Default)
2017-08-11 12:38 pm
Entry tags:

Police Notes from the hotbed of exhibitionism.

Here we go again. As one lady found out, Google is your friend.

  • Someone called police on Thursday around 11 a.m. to report a car that had "hovered" around the caller's property. The caller followed the car to Nanepashemet Street where the people got out and started jogging, which the caller found suspicious. Police found the joggers were friends of the caller's neighbor. The moral of the story: don't let your houseguests jog.

  • Someone walked into the police station to turn in a knapsack that fell off the back of a motorcycle as it was turning last Thursday around 5 p.m.

  • Police responded to a report of a suspicious white bag or package on Atlantic Avenue on Friday around 2 p.m. Officers found it was a bag of leftovers. Obviously, must be leftovers. They were left.

  • Officers took a report of a trash barrel on Village Street with a note for the trash men to take the barrel because there was a dead animal inside. The caller said the barrel was crawling with maggots. Hope you're not eating a meal.

  • A sailboat capsized in the harbor on Sunday around 2 p.m., stranding four teen passengers in lifejackets on a rock. The Harbormaster picked them up. I read the story around this. The water was quite choppy so the Harbourmaster used an inflatable to reach the teens. A very fine effort!

  • Police responded to a report of an older driver in a white Mercedes who got stuck on the beach on Gas House Lane on Sunday around 9 p.m. when "looking for 114." 114 is the number of the fastest route out of town. Just sayin'.

  • Officers took a report of a swastika graffiti'd on the softball field on Humphrey Street on Monday around 11 a.m. This is serious stuff, and the constabulary is following it up very well.

  • Police took a report of a man in a gray car who reportedly pulled up alongside a woman walking in the area of Ocean Avenue, and told her he was an exhibitionist on Tuesday around 6 p.m. He asked if she "wanted to watch," and she told him she didn't know what he was talking about. The man told her to look it up, and when she did she said it was inappropriate, and he drove off. Most exhibitionists don't ask the permission of their victims. This one was quite kind, in a way. And Google was her friend.
chrishansenhome: (Default)
2017-07-25 02:33 pm
Entry tags:

Police logs from around the North Shore of Eastern Massachusetts

It's not only Marblehead that has amusing reports of the constabulary interacting with the citizenry. Here's a summary by town/city.


  • Officers took a report of a lost fanny pack on Pleasant Street last Thursday around 9:30 a.m.

  • Someone reported a group of kids pushing a Crosby's shopping cart into the water at Crocker Park on Saturday around 2 p.m. The caller told the kids not to do it, but the kids said they would retrieve it. The Harbormaster was expected to get it out at low tide. Hm. So the Harbourmaster will be "getting it out" at low tide. Something to see.


  • Police responded to a report of a mattress that fell off the back of a rental truck and hit the car behind it on Veterans Memorial Drive on Saturday around 6 p.m., and was in the middle of the road causing traffic. Officers found that the car struck was driven by part of the group that rented the truck. I always wondered what caused traffic. Now I know it's mattresses.


  • Police took a report of four kids who tried to pull a driveway market out of the ground on Barnes Avenue on Thursday around 9 p.m. The kids ran away before officers got to the scene. A driveway market. In the ground. Oh.

  • Police responded to a report of a dispute on Essex Street on Sunday around 6:30 p.m. Officers spoke to one of the people involved in the dispute, who said it was over $20 owed from two years ago. The person said he didn't know the name of the person he was fighting with. The first rule of Fight Club is: Always know the name of the guy you're punching to the ground.

  • Officers advised four teenagers to stay away from Taco Bell after an employee told police they were causing problems at the Highland Avenue restaurant on Tuesday around 4:30 p.m. The police are now dispensing health advice.


  • Police responded to a report of a neighbor dispute on Friday around 7:30 p.m. on Apple Road after a person reportedly drained a cooler on a balcony, which then dripped onto the neighbor below.

  • Officers responded to a report of a woman swinging a stick at cars on Bridge Street around 10:30 p.m. on Saturday. Police found there was no stick.But was there a woman? Enquiring minds want to know!
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-07-13 07:56 pm
    Entry tags:

    This week's Marblehead Police Log

    Here's the latest from the Marblehead Police Log, with mistaken identity and hanky-panky in inappropriate places.

    • The Harbormaster responded to a report of someone diving for clams off Devereux beach on Thursday around 10 a.m., and found the person was looking for lobsters and flounder, not clams. Well, that's all right then.

    • Police took a report of a phone call that showed up as a Marblehead resident on caller ID, but was "spoofed," and was actually a spammer on Thursday around 11 a.m.

    • A kayaker made it home safely after losing a paddle off the coast of Marblehead on Thursday around 9 p.m. Up the coast without a paddle.

    • Officers took a report of four fishing poles and three rods stolen from the back on a truck Friday just after midnight on Ocean Avenue.

    • Police took a report of a couple possibly having sex in a hammock in the area of Lighthouse Lane on Monday evening. When officers called the witness back, the caller said they just assumed they were having sex. Never assume, sir. It makes an ass out of you and me.

    • A lobster boat sank off of Tinkers Island on Tuesday around 1 p.m. A salvage company was notified.

    • Officers responded to a report of people possibly having sex in a car on Wednesday around 3 a.m. on Widger Road. Police moved the occupants along. Excuse me, but could you hurry up...the doughnut shop closes in 10 minutes.
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-06-30 11:37 am
    Entry tags:

    Marblehead Police Log

    It's been a hot week in Marblehead, Massachusetts.

    • Police responded to a report of vessels firing cannons at each other on the harbor last Friday around 11:30 a.m. in honor of "Pirate Day." Arrrrrr!

    • Officers took a report of a person locked in the dump on Saturday around 4 p.m. I have heard of "Down in the dumps" but this takes the cake.

    • A driver saw a boat cushion fly out of a boat that was being towed in the area of West Shore Drive on Friday around 6:30 p.m. The driver took the cushion to the police station.

    • Police took a report of a driver that was approached while driving on Stramski Way by a black Mercedes, the driver of which got out of the car and asked if the caller wanted to get "[sic] up" and then hit the car with his fist on Friday around 10:30 p.m.

    • Someone called police to report teens drinking and peeing on the street in the area of Humphrey Street and Sevinor Road on Saturday around midnight. Officers found teens that said they had just left a graduation party. We only tossed our caps in the air.

    • Police took a report of a snapping turtle in the middle of the street on West Shore Drive on Tuesday around 7 a.m. The turtle made it onto someone's lawn. I wouldn't want to be the owner of THAT lawn.

    • A landscaper called police to report a woman harassing him on Wednesday around 2:30 p.m. in the area of Bayview Road, following him and filming him, saying he's killing the bees. Apicide isn't encouraged, but neither is stalking.

    • XXX, 73, of Everett, was arrested on charges of lewd, wanton, and lascivious conduct on Wednesday after police were called to Ocean Avenue on a report of a man fondling himself on the beach.
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-06-10 10:14 am
    Entry tags:

    Marblehead Police Log--Mooning a priest

    It's been a busy week in Marblehead for the constabulary.

    • Police took a report of a driver that went on a "tirade" against some cyclists last Wednesday around 8 a.m. after one of the cyclists asked him where he was going in the area of Front and Circle streets.

    • An officer picked up roughly 10 hypodermic needles on Thursday around 3:30 p.m. after a caller reported seeing them in the area of Winthrop Avenue.

    • Officers responded to a report of an SUV doing donuts at the beach on Ocean Avenue last Thursday around 10 p.m. I suppose that any report involving do(ugh)nuts might attract the attention of the constabulary.

    • Mr X, 23, of Marblehead, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest on Sunday around 9 p.m. after police responded to a report of a man rollerblading or skateboarding in an Atlantic Avenue church parking lot, mooning the priest after a confrontation. I don't suppose the priest was fazed by this. The information omitted from this report is that the church parking lot is directly across the street from the cop shop. They could hardly have missed it.

    • Officers took a report of an aggressive driver on Tuesday around 9 a.m. The caller said the drivers passed him over the double yellow line in the area of Lafayette Street, and got out at a red light, tried to open the driver's door, and screamed at him.

    • Police responded to a report of a group of kids smoking pot in the woods behind the school on Humphrey Street on Thursday around 7:30 a.m. The caller reported the kids were smoking cigarettes. Shouldn't make a difference. Lock 'em up!

    • A caller reported finding broken windows and glass in his backyard on Shetland Road along with lacrosse balls and hockey pucks on Thursday around 11:30 a.m.
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-05-15 02:28 pm
    Entry tags:

    When faith meets crocodiles

    This may be fake news, sadly, but I do enjoy the mental image, so...

    A pastor in Nigeria has come to a sad end. He attempted to walk on water across the Crocodile River (should have been a tip-off, that name) and ended up sinking and then becoming dinner for three crocodiles.

    His parishioners could not understand it, as the pastor had fasted and prayed all week before attempting this feat.

    Read it right here.
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-05-09 12:04 pm
    Entry tags:

    North Shore Police Log

    I have expanded my range to cover the entire North Shore of Eastern Massachusetts, as there are quite a few interesting and, dare I say it, comical police log entries this week.

    • Someone reported finding a possible counterfeit $5 bill on Saturday around 12:30 p.m. on Pleasant Street.
    • Officers spoke to people on Ocean Avenue who were reportedly screaming at cars to slow down as they were driving by on Saturday around 11 p.m.
    • A person turned a comic book into the police station after finding it on Washington Street on Monday around 5 p.m. Some child was very sad that day.
    • A caller reported a large turtle in the road at Lynnfield Street on Friday around noon. The turtle was gone when animal control arrived.
    • Officers responded to a report of a middle aged bald man naked on Washington Street "waving his genitals at the pass traffic," on Monday around 9 p.m. Police didn't find any "males on the street lacking an appropriate level of clothing." I see. Police cover-up, no doubt.
    • Officers responded to a report of a cab driver trying to charge passengers twice as much because there were two of them on Tuesday around 2 a.m. on Hancock Street.
    • Officers took a report of a caller finding some bandaids in his diary on Wednesday around 5 p.m. on Aborn Street. To-do list: Get bandaids from pharmacy. Also, make sure that the trademark is respected.
    • Police responded to a report of a man in a tree in the area of the dog park on North Street on Thursday around 8 p.m. Officers didn't find any man in a tree.
    • Officers took a report of a flower pot falling out of a window and hitting a parked car on Monroe Street on Friday around 7:30 p.m.
    • An officer wrote a driver a parking ticket on Ropes Street last Wednesday around 1 p.m. The recipient told the police officer he was being disrespectful and acting like the president. Tweeted a picture of the officer with the caption: Sad. Beverly is crime-ridden and the police should be out catching criminals, not ticketing cars.
    • A man was told to stop feeding the wildlife, especially the coyotes on Tuesday around noon after received numerous complaints of the issue on McPherson Drive.
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-04-21 02:13 pm
    Entry tags:

    That pesky police log again

    • A caller reported a woman in a "hot pink outfit" jumping out into traffic trying to catch a ride near Jersey Street on Wednesday around 3 p.m. Officers did not find the woman. "Hot pink outfit". I suppose that makes a difference. If she were wearing a long black dress it wouldn't have been remarkable.

    • Someone turned in a set of Infiniti car keys with a house key attached on Thursday morning after they were found somewhere on Washington Street.

    • Officers retrieved a bike after it was stolen from CVS on Thursday around 3 p.m. A walk in reported that she saw a boy put a bike over her wall, said it was his and that he would be back for it. Police determined it was the stolen bike. The Marblehead Police, years ago, took my report that my bike was stolen. It took them months to determine that they'd found it and given it back to the kid who sold it to me.

    • Police made a driver go back and pick up his trash after he was seen littering in the area of Atlantic and Ocean avenues on Friday around 9:30 a.m. But the Marblehead constabulary, while not being the most efficient at getting used bikes back, are great at keeping the streets clean.

    • Officers took a report of a silver tray and square roasting pan missing from a Green Street home on Saturday around 11 a.m.

    • Someone reported a Maserati going 100 mph on Sewall Street on Sunday around 11 a.m.

    • Police responded to a report of a man hiding behind a tree on Pleasant Street around midnight on Sunday.

    • A caller reported a sound of tapping a Locust Street home on Monday around 2 a.m. Officers found that the sound was coming from a skunk. I always thought that skunks made their presence known in other, rather more objectionable ways.

    • Police took a report of a camp fire and "drinking party" in Steer Swamp, where there are bottle strewn around on Wednesday around 8 a.m.
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-04-13 06:02 pm
    Entry tags:

    Marblehead Police Log from Holy Week

    Well, some of them have been at it again in Marblehead.

    • A woman reported losing $7,000 of cash in an envelope on Wednesday around 8 a.m. Why am I never around when $7,000 cash is lying around?

    • Someone walked into the police station last Wednesday around 8:30 a.m. with an item found on Devereux Beach he thought could be an explosive. Police asked him to take the item out of the station and leave it on the curb, and later determined it was a piece of fishing equipment. The fisherman went out with a bang, I suppose. At least it didn't go off in the police station.

    • A tree stump was misidentified as a person in camouflage last Thursday morning near Pleasant Street. That's better than a person being misidentified as a tree stump.

    • Police issued a verbal warning to a driver doing donuts in an Ocean Avenue parking lot last Thursday around 5 p.m.

    • Officers took a report of an Evans Road home and two vehicles egged, possibly around 3:30 a.m. on Monday.

    • Someone reported objects – possibly furniture – in the middle of the road near Gregory and Barnard streets on Monday around 2 p.m. Cardinal Biggles has been around again torturing people with soft furnishings, I'll bet.

    • Police responded to a report of two kite surfers in the water in Marblehead Harbor on Monday around 6:30 p.m. and one looking distressed. Authorities found that both parties were okay.

    Have a great weekend.
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-04-12 10:22 pm
    Entry tags:

    Cooking lately

    As I recover from my foot situation, I'm starting to pick up interest in cooking again. When you are confined to a wheelchair in a normal-sized kitchen, you have to cut, slice, dice, and the like on your kitchen table as the counters are too high for someone sitting down. Now that I can stand and walk about, I can do the things on the counter that I found difficult to do on the kitchen table.

    So a few days ago I recalled that I had some avocados in the fridge. Yes, I know, I know, I shouldn't keep them in there. But they were ripe, perhaps even a bit too ripe, and I wanted them to be edible.

    I have a wand blender that has a blending jar attachment. I use that for guacamole. So I tossed in a large slice of onion, the rest of the cilantro that I had lounging in the fridge, a spoonful of jalapeño slices with a glug of the liquid they were in, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper, a chopped tomato, and some olive oil. Blitzed them, then added the avocado chunks and blitzed them again. Just right? It wasn't until after I'd had some of a potato chip that I remembered. I'd left out garlic.

    Every time I make guacamole I seem to leave something out. These are the dangers of cooking without a recipe. HWMBO and I enjoyed it and there's still some in the fridge waiting for tomorrow's lunch and dinner. Sometimes I leave things out of other things, too, such as saying "Thank you" or "I love you". That's not always as easy to repair as garlic omitted from the guacamole.

    A danger of living with your spouse and not doing all the shopping is that you may end up with duplicates of the same thing. I bought bell peppers. HWMBO also bought bell peppers. I got a bit testy, then remembered that I could make stuffed peppers.

    I found a recipe that didn't require the peppers to be stuffed then set in a pan of water in the oven. Here it is, kind of.

    1 lb lean ground beef
    1/2 a large onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    5 bell peppers, seeded, ribs removed, tops cut off and finely chopped
    1 can of tomato sauce
    1-1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
    Pinches of basil and oregano
    salt and pepper to taste
    parmesan cheese, grated
    olive oil to sauté

    Set aside the peppers after cutting off the tops and seeding and removing the ribs. Chop the tops, and the onion. Mince the garlic.

    Sauté the onion, garlic, chopped pepper tops, and the ground beef in the olive oil. Break up the beef while it's sautéing. Add the tomato sauce and stir to incorporate.

    Meanwhile, bring a large pot full of water to the boil. Drop in the reserved peppers and parboil them for 3-5 minutes, or until they are soft but still somewhat al dente. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain.

    Place the peppers in a bowl or pot in which they will stand up. Fill each pepper with the beef mixture. Top with the parmesan cheese and put under a broiler for a couple of minutes just to brown.

    The advantage to this recipe is that the peppers will not get soggy and unappetising. The disadvantage is that they are a bit less authentic. My sainted mother used to use less ground beef and pad the filling with cooked rice. Depression-era-raised moms often clung to such practices out of habit, after the financial need had gone.

    Last night while we ate our stuffed peppers, I mused out loud that I couldn't think of anything good to make for dinner tonight. HWMBO reminded me that he'd bought some beets on Saturday and gently upbraided me about wanting to make borshch for a while and then not using the opportunity. So that's what I did.

    I topped, tailed, quartered, and scrubbed the beets and put them in salted water to cover and boil. When they were soft, I turned off the heat and let them cool for a while. I then put on my latex gloves and rubbed off the skins. That's much easier than trying to peel them before boiling. Then I put them back into the water and used a potato masher to partially crush the beets. My hand blender reduced most of the beets to purée. I added some tomato sauce, adjusted the seasoning, added around 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar (more or less to your taste), threw in a few pinches of dried dillweed, and put it in the fridge to cool down. When I served it, I put a spoonful of sour cream in the middle of each bowlful, some more dillweed, and a few soup croutons.

    A friend who ended up in hospital through not giving himself the right dose of insulin called and asked whether I could provide dinner after he was discharged this evening. He had a bowlful of soup and thought it good, as did HWMBO a bit later. So even cold soup can be good for you.
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-04-02 08:21 pm
    Entry tags:

    Passion Sunday

    It's usually not called Passion Sunday these days—it's the Fifth Sunday of Lent. The Gospel is long, and is the story of Lazarus returning from the dead.

    This photo of Tomb of Lazarus is courtesy of TripAdvisor

    The story of Lazarus is perhaps the high point of the Gospel of John before we descend into the passion, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus. It prefigures the resurrection on Easter Day, and is one of my favourite Gospel stories.

    Today in Church I was required to read the Gospel, and, as I always do, I choked up in the middle. I have been reading in churches for more than 50 years, and I am normally a good public reader—I have a loud voice, I can project it in most large spaces, and I can read with expression. I also know how to pronounce most of the difficult words that some readings contain.

    But when I get to the story of Lazarus, I have to steel myself to get through it. I don't know why, but at the point where the shortest verse in the Bible comes I just cannot help myself. It's: "Jesus wept."

    Jesus loved Martha and Mary, the sisters of Lazarus, but John says that he loved Lazarus too. When word came to Jesus that Lazarus had died (we aren't told from what), Jesus procrastinated for a few days. John says that Jesus wanted to show that he was the Messiah, the Son of God, and by raising Lazarus bring the disciples to belief. He says, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."

    To me, this passage tells me everything I need to know about Jesus. I realise that many are not religious, or are not Christians, and I wouldn't expect everyone to believe as I do. But who cannot read this Gospel (John 11:1-44) without feeling the love that Jesus had for his friend, and his sorrow that he had been too late to keep him from death. Raising Lazarus is the ultimate gift that he can give his friend.

    And who of us who has been recently bereaved, can read this Gospel without wishing for the same resurrection for their beloved friend or relative? It is an impossible wish, but we all wish it anyway, I'm sure.

    When a friend or acquaintance tells me of his or her recent bereavement, I always say, "May s/he rest in peace, and rise in glory." The story of Lazarus is what gives me the authority to say this, and mean it.

    We are now embarking upon the run-up to Palm Sunday and then Holy Week, with Easter Sunday on the horizon. Whether we speak of the resurrection of Christ, or the resurrection of plants and living things as Spring begins, we can recall that before a plant grows tall, it is a seed that the spring weather encourages to grow. When the plant grows seed and then dies, its seeds produce new life yet again.

    I shall rejoice in the new life all around us, and in the life we enjoy in Christ. I trust that all of you will have a Springtime blessed with abundant life.
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-03-27 09:09 pm

    Selecting Bishops in the Church in Wales and the Church of England

    Evolution of the bishop's mitre

    When I first came to the United Kingdom, and began to be involved in the Church of England Diocese of Southwark, I often compared how things are done here with how things were done in the Episcopal Church. I was quickly made aware that what the Colonials do was not applicable to what is done here. So I stopped suggesting ways of being church that I thought were pertinent to the Church here.

    Recently the Diocese of Llandaff in Wales found itself without a Bishop. So, the Electoral College for a Bishop was convened. Six people from the Diocese found themselves sworn to secrecy along with various Welsh bishops and the Archbishop's Registrar and Registrar's Assistant. They would elect a new Bishop of Llandaff in the utmost secrecy.

    The people from Llandaff had decided that the Very Rev'd Jeffrey John, a serial "loser" in Episcopal appointment, would be a dandy bishop. The difficulty is that John, who is Dean of St. Albans, is an openly-gay man, in a civil partnership with another priest, though a chaste one.

    The Electoral College could not agree on a name to be chosen as Bishop of Llandaff, and dissolved itself. The Bishops of Wales will now get together and agree a new Bishop among themselves. They have declared that all previous candidates will not get a look-in.

    Except...except...someone snitched. A leak from the Electoral College proved crucial, since it was said that Dean John was the subject of homophobic and abusive speech within the College. It seems that, although the newly-retired Archbishop of Wales said that lesbian and gay clergy could be ordained deacon, priest, and chosen as bishops, his writ did not extend to Llandaff.

    Dean John has gone public with a letter to the Welsh bishops complaining about his treatment within the Electoral College. The Bishop of Swansea and Brecon, the senior Bishop while a new Archbishop is being chosen, would rather get after the person who leaked information from the College deliberations than condemn the homophobic remarks made in the meeting.

    Dean John was chosen Bishop of Reading in Oxford Diocese (a subordinate Bishop) in 2003, but then-Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams forced him to resign the appointment since John was in a gay relationship. He was also one of those under consideration for Bishop of Southwark when it fell vacant some years ago. A leak from that meeting by the Very Rev'd Colin Slee, Dean of Southwark, a leak made on Dean Slee's deathbed, showed that machinations from the Archbishops scuppered the choice of John put forward by the members of the meeting from the Diocese (the C of E method of choosing Diocesan bishops is similar to the one of the Church in Wales, at least in its initial phase).

    Now it seems to me that the oxygen of publicity could assist in making the will of the Holy Spirit as regards Episcopal appointments manifest. The method of choosing bishops in Wales and England is secret, with nothing being officially said until the Queen's choice is announced by Downing Street or by the Bishops of Wales. It very much reminds me of the method of choosing scholars at Oxford and Cambridge to try out for the Security Services MI5 and MI6. Someone, usually a professor, invites them to his/her room for a sherry and suggests that they should consider a career as a spy.

    Bishop's Mitre

    The fiction that the Queen selects bishops is still maintained, even though no Supreme Governor of the Church of England has chosen a bishop on their own since perhaps Queen Anne's reign. So how should bishops be chosen?

    The Church of England and Church in Wales both have synodical governance. That is, there is a legislature in each diocese and in the Churches as a whole. These synods approve budgets and accounts, set diocesan policy, and see that it's carried out by the diocesan authorities. In The Episcopal Church, each diocese holds a Convention once a year or so to do the same functions, and the Church as a whole has a General Convention once every three years.

    When an American Bishop is to be chosen, the serving bishop calls for a special electoral convention to elect a bishop. A Nominating Committee is chosen and, after a suitable interval, several names of qualified candidates are announced. If enough of the electors wish, other candidates can be nominated from the floor of the convention.

    Then a dog-and-pony show of the candidates tours the diocese so that Episcopalians in each area can meet the candidates and ask them questions. The Electing Convention then meets and votes in two Houses, the House of Clergy and House of Laity, for the candidates. When a candidate gets a majority in both houses, s/he is elected bishop.

    It doesn't stop there. The Bishops with jurisdiction (Diocesan Bishops and the Presiding Bishop) are asked to give consent to the election. The Standing Committee of each Diocese (the Board of Directors equivalent) is also asked to give consent. A majority of each group must consent for the election to be valid. As Bishops are chosen for the entire Church, this process ensures that the entire Church believes that the candidate will make a good bishop.

    All of these activities except for the Nominating Committee's deliberations are held in public. The dog-and-pony show is public. The convention is public. The consent process (at least the results of it) is public. If insults of whatever kind from whatever source are made, they are made and can be challenged in public.

    Had the Church in Wales had a similar process, the insults aimed at Dean John would not have happened.

    There are objections to opening up the Episcopal election process here in the C of E. One is that it would cut out the Queen and the Prime Minister from the process. Well, at the moment a Committee meets and selects two names to submit to the Prime Minister as candidates for Bishop. The PM selects the first one, and then communicates with the Queen, who appoints that person as bishop and then directs the Cathedral Chapter of that Diocese to elect him or her as bishop. There are penalties if a Chapter or a member of a Chapter does not vote for the Queen's candidate. Perhaps it's time to turn the tables and have the Diocesan Synod choose a Bishop and direct the Queen to appoint him or her.

    National consent could be gained at one of the tri-yearly meetings of General Synod. Of course, this would also be a public activity.

    Another objection is that it would reduce the C of E appointments process to a grubby election campaign, and that candidates who are good politickers would have an advantage over mere saintly candidates. Well, politicking goes on today; it's just sub rosa. The Archbishops keep a list of promising priests who they think are Episcopal timber. If you're on that list, the Archbishop's Appointments Committee can invite you in for "a glass of sherry and the suggestion that you might want to be considered as Bishop of East Gorgeous Diocese". I am certain that politics plays a large part in the composing of that list. Of course, it's all done in secret.

    The American process does occasionally hit a sour note. The former Bishop of South Carolina did not get the required consents first time around. The Diocesan Convention resubmitted the candidate's name, and he got consents the second time around. A couple of years later this Bishop took the Diocese out of the Episcopal Church (there is currently a lot of litigation going on and he may be forced to return all the churches and property to the Episcopal Church as a whole). In addition, several bishops have been elected and consents gained, and then turned out to be crap at bishopping. Sometimes this has led to negotiations on a severance deal just to get the bishop to resign.

    But, of course, the C of E process also turns out people who are crap at bishopping. They do it in secret rather than in public. Many have remarked that the Bench of Bishops these days is, with only one or two exceptions, filled with time-serving bureaucrats who cannot hold a candle to such luminaries of the past as Archbishops William Temple and Michael Ramsey. No appointments process will be perfect.

    Publicity could have a large role in making the selection of bishops a process of which both the people and the Church as a whole can be proud.
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-03-04 01:41 pm
    Entry tags:

    Marblehead Police Log

    Well, we have a few interesting reports from the Marblehead, Massachusetts constabulary.

    • Police took a report of a male driver in his 50s tailgating a woman with her children around Pleasant Street last Thursday morning and making "very lewd gestures" with his hand. Officers left a voicemail for the suspected driver.

    • XXX, 23, of Marblehead, was arrested on charges of malicious destruction of property, breaking and entering in the daytime, and larceny from a building last Thursday evening after a report of windows broken on Leicester Road.

    • Someone turned in a ring found near the swingsets at Devereux Beach on Friday morning.

    • Officers took a report of someone who mixed coffee with salt and "has now learned her lesson" on Saturday afternoon. And a valuable lesson it is, too!

    • Someone reported a porta potty had tipped over on Alden Road on Sunday around 11 a.m. and the caller was concerned that "kids will play in it." Officers responded to the area, but didn't foresee any children playing in it. Marblehead kids are hella smart. They know not to play in overturned porta potties.

    • Police took a report of a passenger refusing to pay for a cab ride because the driver closed the door on his hand on Thursday night. Officers told the passenger he couldn't refuse to pay for service. But the passenger could charge the cabbie with assault, no?
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-03-02 08:55 am
    Entry tags:

    Happy birthday, bigmacbear...

    ...and many happy returns of the day!
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2017-01-30 11:38 am
    Entry tags:

    First-Time Scam SPAMmer Department, Bad Grammar Division

    I got the following SPAM™ email purporting to come from an Australian. Now I realise that educational standards differ, but perhaps the author of this missive might want to brush up on English usage.

    Country of birth: Australia.
    My private email: {SPAMMERA}

    Attn: Beloved,
    Good morning,

    Greetings in the name of humanity, I am Mrs. {STUPID FIRST-TIME SCAM SPAMMER}, a citizen of Australia but presently in Pretoria,South Africa.I was previously working for the federal government, I am 50 years old, I am now a new Christian/Born again but from all indication, my conditions is really deteriorating and it is quite depressing, i have been suffering from long time cancer of the Lungs, from obvious reasons,that I wont live more than 4 months, according to my doctors, this is because the cancer stage has gotten to a very bad stage.

    My late husband died last five years ago, and during the period of our marriage we couldn't produce any child. My late husband was very wealthy and after his death, I inherited all his business and wealth.

    The doctors has advised me that I may not live for more than 4 months, so I now decided to give his wealth to contribute to the development of the church in Africa, America, Asia, and Europe.

    I selected you after visiting the website and I prayed over it. I am willing to donate the sum of $3,000.000.00u.usd (Three million United States dollars) to the less privileged.

    Please I want you to note that this fund is lying in a bank in South Africa. Once i hear from you,I will forward you the bank details and contact person in the bank,he is reliable.I will also furnish you with the user id and password for you access the funds online.

    I honestly pray that this money when transferred to your account will be used for the said purpose, because I have come to find out that wealth acquisition without humility, all is vanity.

    Please provide me with the following information so I can forward it to a church friend who used to work with the bank.He is a reliable and god fearing man.


    So why, when SPAMmers send these letters, do they always say "cancer of the Lungs"? Any reasons why capitalising "lungs" makes it more forceful?
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2016-12-31 03:03 pm
    Entry tags:
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2016-12-20 09:49 am
    Entry tags:

    Advent Police Log

    Busy couple of days in Marblehead for the constabulary.

    • Someone stole Santa: A Johns Road resident reported that he had heard a noise outside on Friday night, and when he looked out his 3-foot tall plastic Santa was taken. Santa was not recovered. Thousands of children have now had their Christmases irretrievably destroyed.

    • Officers responded to Prince Street on Sunday, Dec. 11, on a call of a Toyota that hit three parked cars around 8 a.m.

    • Someone called police last Monday around 7 p.m. to report the Christmas lights at the lighthouse on Lighthouse Lane were out. The bulb-snatcher must have been in the vicinity.

    • A car accident on Wednesday around 8 p.m. shut down Lafayette Street for roughly half an hour. No injuries were reported.

    • Someone reported a 14K gold open link bracelet lost sometime last week, possibly in the area of Jersey Street.

    • A caller reported being woken from a "deep sleep" by the burglary alarm around 3 a.m. on Friday on Ida Road. She locked herself and her daughter in her bedroom until police arrive. Officers didn't find anyone in the home.

    • Salem Hospital requested police check on a patient who "took off with the IV in her arm" for her own safety around 3 a.m. on Friday. Officers found that the woman was fine.

    • Mr X, 30, of Lynn was arrested on charges of speeding and unlicensed driving after a traffic stop on Ocean Avenue on Friday afternoon.

    • Someone reported on Friday around 4 p.m. that a $50 laser light show was taken from their yard on Sewall Street.That bulb-snatcher must have been very busy.
    • Two men allegedly punched a car window as it was making a right turn on a green light near School Street on Friday around 5 p.m. One of the men was walking a dog and had a beard and blue hoodie, according to the driver. Police report no damage was done to the car.

    • Mr Y, 25, of Salem, was arrested on charges of assault with a deceptive weapon device after he allegedly showed an air soft gun during an incident on Pleasant Street on Sunday around 1:30 a.m.
    chrishansenhome: (Cartoon)
    2016-11-30 03:50 pm

    Happy birthday, mousez72

    And many happy returns of the day!
    chrishansenhome: (Default)
    2016-11-27 02:50 pm
    Entry tags:

    A Busy Thanksgiving for the Marblehead Constabulary

    • 1:06 p.m. "Crematory remains" were found on a trail along Lafayette Street. Mom burned the turkey again.

    • 3:09 p.m. Someone broke into a shrink-wrapped boat on Lincoln Avenue and stole a propeller and medical kits. The thief left behind a half-eaten donut and wrapper, the boat owner reported. CSI Boston needs to investigate. I just hope it wasn't a cop.

    • 2:35 p.m. A female was found passed out on Clifton Avenue.

    • 8:10 p.m. A caller on Bayview Road reported hearing three gunshots. Police checked the scene and found nothing.

    • 11:41 p.m. An underage drinking party was reported on Amherst Road. A caller reported kids were "too drunk to drive" and urinating in the middle of the street. Police checked the scene and found nothing.